Dec 16, 2004

The More Things Change

It happens at least once a week.

Stopped at the grocery store last night to pick up a few items, total came to $12.76.

Not wishing to add to the clog of singles in my wallet and the pound of coins already in my pocket, I gave the checkout clerk $23.01: a twenty, three ones, and a penny.

Which of course freaked her out; she stared at the bills in her hand blankly, then got that look in her eyes: He gave me TOO MUCH MONEY! What's this PENNY for?

With just a hint of conspiracy in my voice I told her, "Just punch it in, and let's see what happens."

Which she did, and the register magically told her to give me as change: a ten dollar bill and a quarter.

Q. E. D.

She looked at me as if I were Merlin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Baseball Diva said...

I actually had a clerk count back my change. I felt like I had been transported through time. Dropping pennies into my hand "Fifty-three, fifty-four, fifty-five," followed by dimes, "sixty-five, seventy-five," a quarter "six," then the paper "seven, eight, nine, ten, and ten makes twenty. Thank you for shopping with us." All without consulting the cash register's screen.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home